Post Hair Transplantation: Some advice
For every patient with hair related issues and premature balding, hair transplant procedure is a definite boon. However, the treatment in itself can’t guarantee long-term results. To ensure that the treatment provides long-term benefits and a healthy and natural looking result the patient is advised to follow certain precautions.
Let’s have a look at all the precautions a patient is expected to follow before a hair transplant session:
- Blood thinners like Aspirin which is used as an anti inflammatory drug must be completely avoided as it increases risk of intensive bleeding and clotting issues post treatment. Patients can replace Aspirin with Tylenol as Anti-inflammatory medication.
- Usage of Vitamin E, anti clotting medication like Plavix and Coumadin, MAO inhibiting Antidepressants must be avoided and those using these must have a proper medical consult before taking this treatment.
- Usage of enhancement drugs must be avoided from 2-3days prior to the procedure date.
- Alcohol must be completely avoided from 3-4 days prior to the procedure and the usage of nicotine (smoking, tobacco consumption, gums and patches etc) must be avoided from 2 weeks prior to the procedure date.
Now, let’s look at all the precautions to be followed post treatment:
- Consuming alcohol and other intoxicating drinks must be avoided 72 hrs post treatment as it hampers blood circulation to the brain.
- Usage of nicotine in the form of cigars/cigarettes, patches, gums and tobacco must be avoided for three weeks post the procedure.
- Aspirin and other blood thinners must be avoided post treatment also as it might thin blood and delay clotting.
- Keeping head elevated to avoid increased swelling in the already bruised scalp.
- Avoiding scorching sun and strenuous physical activity which might lead to excessive sweating is a must as it may lead to infecting the treated region.
- A balanced and healthy diet must be maintained and spicy food avoided.
- The scalp region must be taken care of diligently and a perfect hygiene maintained at all times.
- Avoid itching and rubbing the scalp where the transplant procedure was performed. This might result in more bruising and swelling.
- Shower and shampoo the treated region after removal of the protective bandage.
- Use an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory without aspirin and a pain reliever
- Application of ice pack, directly in the donor area and in the nearby region to ease swelling in the recipient region would ease the discomfort due to swelling.
- Avoiding swimming and chlorinated water is essential for speedy recovery.
- Use a mild soap and shampoo in the affected region
These precautions ensure that the treatment produces optimum result and enables natural re-growth of hair in the affected region. There will be intensive shedding of the old hair in the weeks following the transplant and is normal as the new hair will replace the old ones. This might give the affected region a thinner and scanty look. But that will be corrected over time.
The effects will take time to be visible and one needs to be patient. New hair starts growing in around 10 weeks post transplant and the full effect of hair growth will be visible only after a year. The hair will be ready to be groomed post 6 months of transplant.
Ensure that all the precautions are followed diligently and be rest assured that the hair will re-grow and stay healthy post treatment. Remember, hair transplant can only guarantee hair growth and maintaining that is still in the hands of those who underwent the treatment. Unhygienic and uncared scalp will put the patient back to the same condition or probably worst.