Friends I would like to ask you, when you go for hair transplantation what comes first in your mind?
Well I’ll tell you, the first thing that comes in your mind is ‘pain’. The only question in your mind is: Will I feel pain whilst undergoing hair transplantation? This is a very genuine anxiety because hair transplant is done under local anesthesia, and not under general anesthesia.
How can we make your hair transplant painless in our CareWell Medical Center?
It is a pretty long surgery that takes up to 7 – 8 hours, so obviously you will feel whether it’ll be comfortable or uncomfortable to go for a hair transplant. Let me tell you what is important, and how do we help you out in this.
1. First thing is to reduce anxiety.
- If in the initial stage, the anesthesia is given without taking any precautions, then it would become uncomfortable and painful as well. But, if it is done with some special techniques, which are good practices for pain management then it would be painless.
- Pain management needs to be followed in a clinic to reduce the patient’s pain and discomfort.
- Before we take you in as a client for hair transplantation, we always put a cannula and give you some anxiolytic medicine like alprazolam or midazolam, a small doze that reduces anxiety.
2. The second thing is, we use a special technique called Painless Vibratory Anesthesia.
- This is a very special technique through which the pain is reduced to almost a very low level, wherein pain is not felt at all. In this technique, we use vibration, ice packs, breathing techniques, and very fine needles to administer injections.
- 90% of the patients with whom this technique was used confessed on feeling no pain at all. It was at a score of less than 2 from a scale of 0 – 10. This was really remarkable, because before this technique was being used, my average patient’s pain score was 7 or 8 when the anesthesia was being given.
3. Nerve block and ring block
- We use both — nerve and ring block. When we use nerve block, it’s just four injections; the entire back portion of the head becomes numb and anaesthetized.So, we need to administer injections at specific spots to make that entire area numb. That is called a nerve block.
- We have to be careful about the nerves like lesser occipital nerve and greater occipital nerve. These are the nerves we block by these injections.
4) Short acting and long acting anesthesia
- We use two different kinds of anesthetics – short acting and long acting. For a long acting anesthesia, surgeons mostly use Sensorcaine. Sensorcaine is very cardio toxic which is very dangerous for the
- In my clinic, we’ve stopped using Sensorcaine; we’ve shifted to a medicine called ropivacaine, which is very safe and freely available. But, you know friends my study and data states that, 70% of the doctors in hair transplant are not aware, that this medicine also exists.
- This is something which I know as I keep myself upgraded by going to conferences and engage myself in reading and understanding about new inventions because patient’s safety is my prime concern. So, I take utmost care of my patients.
We never use Sensorcaine with xylocaine as there have been reports of cardiac problems happening during the hair transplantation.
So they had to be shifted to ICU’s, or they did require medications from the cardiac doctors because their heart rate became irregular during the hair transplant. It happened because Sensorcaine was used.
- Ropivacaine is a very safe drug with no cardio toxicity, and it is long lasting as well, for about 7-8 you don’t feel any pain.
- These are things that we follow, in case you still have discomfort, we have some special drips that we can give you like dextroamphetamine, which can make you fall asleep, and you may not feel any pain at all.
So when all these practices are followed, it becomes a virtually painless way of doing the entire surgery. Do not be afraid of pain because we follow the latest technology and use them.
So, friends, be sure and comfortable. Come and walk-in for the hair transplant. It is safe, secure, and painless.
How to make your Hair Transplantation painless?
We are going to tell in this article how hair transplantation can be made painless.
Care Well Medical Centre