Answer to a question, “Do hair fall/loss treatments really work?”
Everyone loses some amount of hair every day. The person on an average might lose as maximum as 100 hairs per day depending upon the hair density which is normal. There are certain disorders, diseases and genetic conditions that cause excessive and premature hair loss.
So, apart from normal hair fall that occurs on daily basis, if you start to notice significant hair loss, balding, hair thinning or receding hair line then immediately consult a dermatologist without being a Doc yourself. A proper diagnosis is MUST to first identify the cause of hair loss and its available treatments. So, in biological terms, it is crucial to find out what exactly is the root of the problem and then only the success of the treatment could be determined.
Among females, well, ironically, the testosterone level in female is the real culprit. You see, as a human being age, testosterone hormone morphs into an androgen –called Dihydrotestosterone (a female sex hormone). DHT attacks the hair follicles like a poison and makes its way to slowly n steadily destroying the roots, causing hairs to weaken until they die. Adding humiliation to the process, it occurs randomly, there is hardly any cure to it and it just tends to offer little sympathy. This is even unfortunate determining many men find the process ‘devastating’.
So, the hair loss treatment for hair fall caused by DHT or hormonal imbalance may be cured, but the medicines alone are not going to play wonders, especially if you seek an early remedial solution. People, you really need to focus on your diet, workout regime and mental health to suppress any further development of DHT in your body that may worsen your hair fall.
Having food consisting of high nutritional value, yoga/meditation, your medical supplements, avoiding heat concentrated styling products, frequent chemical exposure and monitoring your overall health can help to arrest excessive hair fall and even reverse hair loss in most cases. Follow these golden rules rigorously; you will see yourself a cut above.
Hair fall Treatments
Hair loss treatment should start with obtaining proper medications for any disorder causing your hair loss. The most effective clinical treatment options include:
- Topical treatments: Rogaine is a Topical minoxidil lotion effective on both men and women with mild to moderate hair loss. This is the only powerful FDA approved medication to treat female and male pattern baldness in adults. Its regular usage may add some new tiny hairs to your scalp in few months which grows fully with time. An appropriate usage of minoxidil with a medicated and cleared shampoo helps to reduce excessive hair fall and eventually stop it. Note that if you have a sensitive skin or your scalp has lost its laxity due to enormous hair shedding, there are chances that you get irritation, inflammation or itching on the applied areas. So, in that case, make sure to visit a dermatologist for a quick assistance.
- Oral medications: Propecia an Oral finasteride medication is meant for only males with mild to moderate hair loss. The oral pills are FDA cleared to treat male pattern baldness in adults. The pill works by converting of testosterone into 5 alpha- Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone that plays a key role in hair loss. Propecia is a prescription medicine and is only approved for use in men for androgenetic alopecia.Another prominent oral medication for hair fall treatment is Aldactone an Oral spironolactone tablet used off as label to treat pattern baldness in young adults, more for female pattern. Spironolactone can cause impotence, development of the male breasts, decreased libido and is therefore used mainly in women. Spironolactone medication is approved as a diuretic but has no clearance as treatment for alopecia, by the FDA.
- LED Laser Therapy- Laser light treatment or using laser combs can be helpful to minimize hair loss. The radiations being sent out by the laser directly penetrates in the roots, thus activating and rejuvenating the hair follicles. If you perform laser combing for 15minutes every day, the potential results can be possibly seen.
Our guide to what doesn’t work in hair fall
- Herbal Supplements: Most of the ayurveda hair packs and herbal supplements can help improve the general hair health, but fail to do anything in terms of pattern baldness, genetic hair loss or controlling the process of miniaturization.
- Caffeine shampoos: Although there is a current vogue going on about the popular caffeine hair packs and shampoos, there are just NO studies or evidences if these are potential to fight pattern baldness. These products only keep the scalp cleansed and that is all about it.
- Laser Caps: These laser beams caps are somewhat different from laser comb brushes and therapies. The laser caps throw a beam of light onto your scalp, and do nothing fruitful to sort out the actual purpose. In our opinion it is a waste of money and time with probably too delayed result.
Speaking with a heavy heart, there is unfortunately NOT much that can be done to prevent hair loss in those who are genetically predisposed to conditions like diffuse hair loss, pattern baldness or people who develop disorders like trichotillomania.
A bitter truth is that Hair loss is often out of your control. “Baldness usually comes down to your genes, as deduced by many dermatologists and Hair specialists. So, if you are subjected to the baldness gene, there are some natural remedies that may make your hair healthier and stronger for time being to slow down your hair loss marginally but they won’t prevent you from going bald.
Still, eating well for sustenance hair health and applying the right hair care products, combined with medical-grade treatments—can really work well all together to help you have a fuller, thicker and healthier head of hair.