Know everything about the most popular cosmetic surgery – “Rhinoplasty/Nose Surgery”
Dr. Sandeep Bhasin
Dr. Sandeep Bhasin has done his MBBS and MS from Aligarh Muslim University with top honors. He is one of the few cosmetic surgeons in Delhi who has been certified by the Indian Medical Council, and is a board certified Laparoscopic & Cosmetic Surgeon with 10 years of residency training in both the specialties.
Hi, I am Dr. Sandeep Bhasin from Care Well Medical Centre. Today I will share with you some details about Rhinoplasty which can give you a deeper understanding of the subject.
So tell me friends, how many of you are happy with the size and shape of your nose?
I know, some people are not happy with the structure and functioning of their nose and want a change. Don’t worry I am here to help you. I am sharing few insights with you which allow you to make good decision.
Let me start with basics. The main aim of Rhinoplasty is to create an Aesthetic Nose which fit and creates a balanced Face profile. At the same time it allows for easy flow of air in the nose. So it aims at
- Aesthetic Improvement
- Functional Improvement
In this Rhinoplasty guide, I will share the little nuances of
- What must be done before Rhinoplasty?
- What happens when you visit me for consultation or procedure?
- What happens post-surgery?
This report gives you in-depth information what you might feel during the routine and care that needs to be taken post- surgery.
I begin with a proper consultation of anyone interested in the Rhinoplasty procedure.
I try to understand what the needs of my clients are and how best we can achieve them.
Through years of experience and research I’ll discuss the benefits, risks, and limitations, so that it becomes easier for you to decide if Rhinoplasty is the right choice for you.
As a surgeon, it is absolutely rewarding to share my personal experience through patient satisfaction and personal confidence after experiencing Rhinoplasty.
Dr. Sandeep Bhasin
MBBS, MS, (hons) Aligarh Muslim University,
Board Certified Laparoscopic and Cosmetic Surgeon
This guide is created through one-on-one conversations that I’ve had with my Rhinoplasty clientele. I can share this knowledge on an online platform as well. I hope you will appreciate the depth and quality of the conversations in this guide.
- 1. What are the Benefits of Rhinoplasty?
As we commence this conversation on Rhinoplasty, I would like you to tell me
What kind of post-surgery benefits you are looking for?
Rhinoplasty is a technical surgery that is performed to achieve aesthetic and functional goals.
Some benefits are :
- Improve breathing problem.
- Fix broken nose.
- Sinus problem can be alleviated through Rhinoplasty.
- Correct birth defects like lumps, clefts, underdevelopment etc.
- Restore facial symmetry.
People have unrealistic expectations from Rhinoplasty which cannot be achieved. For example, often someone will come and say, “Dr. I want my nose like XYZ Bollywood star.”
To this I would like to say “Dear …. Your nose is unique as your signature. We cannot change your nose into someone else’s nose. All we can do is improvise the features and make them well proportionate to your face profile.”
For those with realistic expectations we can strive for better Aesthetic and Functional Nose. This will boost Self-confidence and Morale of Clients.
- 2. What are the limitations of Rhinoplasty?
The results of Rhinoplasty depend on many factors
- The overall structure of nose and face.
- The type of skin especially the thickness of skin.
- The length of Columella.
- Any pre existing deformity as Cleft lip, Maxillary bone hypoplasia etc.
Of these factors Skin quality and thickness is of great importance. As a rule people with thicker skin will have moderate results as compared to people with Thin Skin.
Clients with thin skin, whatever changes we do to the tip of Nose are easily seen and appreciated.
- 3. What are the risks of Rhinoplasty?
Friends, from my experience in surgical Rhinoplasty, I don’t believe there’s an operation that does not carry any risk.
Rhinoplasty just like any other surgery has its own risks and rare complications.
Each nose is different so its consequences of surgery would be different. In Care Well Medical Centre we are very diligent, but still few complications should always be kept in mind.
- Post operatively bruising and swelling of Face for 3 weeks is common. This should be kept in mind
- As Rhinoplasty is done under General Anesthesia so all the risks of Anesthesia are applicable here too.
- Chances of Infection and bleeding as in any Surgery are possible. Though with strict Asepsis and refined techniques these are very rare in Care well Medical Centre.
- Most common complication is many patients may not be happy with final results if they had unrealistic expectations.
- 4. Is it right for me?
As we are moving toward surgery, I would like to tell you if Rhinoplasty is right for you or not. The right candidates for Rhinoplasty are people:
- Who have a nose problem that can be corrected & it is not possible to alter a nose with very thick skin
- Who have larger noses and require surgery to make it small. It is difficult to make smaller noses big
- Who have realistic expectations from the surgery
- Who are healthy enough to undergo Rhinoplasty
Getting your nose in shape isn’t the final goal; it’s whether this procedure is going to make a significant difference or not.
At Care Well Medical Centre, if we feel you’re the right candidate, and we’re the right doctors for you, then we can achieve the perfect results for you as well.
- 5. What happens when you ring our clinic for Rhinoplasty?
Speaking about Care Well Medical Centre, when you give us a call for Rhinoplasty, the first thing that you’ll hear is “hello”, and…
- I will fix an appointment with you.
- If “yes”, then I’ll organize a time that suits your requirements.
- As your Rhinoplasty surgeon, I would ask you about your expectations from the surgery.
- I would also get to know more about your general health condition through a list of questions that are easy to answer.
- I’ll have a detailed look at your history and examine your nose condition thoroughly.
- I would take some photographs of your nose to understand your problem and determine the best surgical treatment for you.
- If everything goes well, and you’re the right candidate, I shall fix a surgery date for you, and my assistants at Care Medical Centre would explain more about the treatment and care that needs to be taken before surgery.
- 6. What do you need to think about when selecting a surgeon?
When you’re thinking about how to select a surgeon, you need to consider several aspects. The first being –
- How well is my surgery planned?
- They should listen and understand your expectations, and give the right advice
- If they haven’t, you should take a step back and not go to surgery with that particular surgeon
- Have they analyzed my general health condition and the case of my nose?
- We use sharp and clear photographs; At Care Well Medical Centre, I use the latest computer software and technology to measure precise angles and lengths.
- At Care Well Medical Centre, I have the best team available for you, and we have pre-built care through which you’re looked after completely
- 7. What must you do before Rhinoplasty?
When you book your surgery date with us at Care Well Medical Centre, we will –
Provide you with a list of instructions to follow
- I would advise you to avoid medication that can cause excess bleeding.
- Food and medication like garlic and aspirin are things you need to cut down on.
If you go through and follow these instructions thoroughly, you wouldn’t have a problem.
- 8. What happens when you come for the surgery?
When you enter Care Well Medical Centre for Rhinoplasty-
- You will be taken to your room before surgery.
- I’ll be coming to check before we go to the operation theatre.
- I should have reviewed all the important notes, photographs, and the analysis.
- The next thing you see is my anaesthetic, and he’ll be telling you about what he is going to do.
- He will answer any queries, and you’ll know everything before the procedure starts.
- It’s not too long wherein you’ll be escorted by nurses to the operation theatre, and you’ll be asleep and the surgery will be accomplished.
- 9. What happens after surgery?
I like my Rhinoplasty patients to stay overnight just to know they are alright
- That way I can see you before you go home and tell you that the surgery was successful.
- The nurses at Care Well Medical Centre will clean your nostrils and provide instructions on what needs to be done for your dressings.
- You get a dose of antibiotics from us as well before you leave.
- I would also prescribe the best medicines that you need to take for a few months, and a week later I would remove the dressing from your nose.
- This wouldn’t hurt as I have used dissolvable stitches.
- I would do a thorough check of the inside of your nose, and make sure you are healing well.
- Then, I’ll see you six to twelve weeks later.
- At that stage, the swelling will subside and then we can have a clear picture of how things have and will turn out.
- It can take about a year to 18 months for everything to settle, in that time I would like to see you to make sure you’ve achieved great results for your nose.
- 10. When can you go back to work and hit the gym?
After Rhinoplasty, I would advise at-least 3 weeks off from hitting the gym or any vigorous exercise.
- There’s a chance that you may get a nose bleed, or get swelling as well.
- Thus, it is best advisable not to hit the gym for at least 3 weeks.
- When can you go back to work depends on the kind of work you do.
- For most patients, it would be 5 – 7 days.
- I would suggest gentle work after a week to be productive and stay healthy as well.
How do you decide, if you want to take a step forward and have Rhinoplasty?
It’s not going to be the same answer for everyone, but there are common things that can be considered. I cannot guarantee your result, but I will do everything through experience to get you the best results possible.
If your gut instinct says “I trust you” and you accept the final consequences, then it’s time to say yes to Rhinoplasty.