How to prepare your hair and yourself for hair transplant?
Hair transplant being a medical treatment calls for pre-surgery care. It has been seen that proper and standardized pre-transplant care also reflects on the optimal outcome of the treatment. So, here’s how you can prepare yourself along with your hairs for your hair transplant.
- Two weeks prior to the surgery, you must stop consuming any mineral or multivitamin or herbal supplements like Gingko Biloba as these interfere with the transplant process.
- During this period, you must also abstain from anti-inflammatory medicines and aspirin.
- At the same time, you should strictly avoid consuming blood thinning drugs, beta-blockers and anti-depressants. Consult your surgeon before the treatment to know about all medications which you need to stop in your pre-transplant phase.
- According to the hair loss extent, your hair transplant surgeons will provide certain medications like Minoxidili or Propecia. If you’ve lost hairs only from the crown region, these medications won’t be prescribed. In order to prevent surgical infections, your surgeons may also ask you to take antibiotics. Often, the antibiotics are prescribed post-transplant.
- If you’re above 45yrs, you have to undergo medical tests especially ECG. You may also have to do a blood test.
- Never cut your hairs before transplant. Allow them to grow as it will help your surgeons to get more donor hairs. More hairs will also cover the stitches after your transplant.
- Start massaging your scalp at least a month before the surgery. Give 10-30 minutes for massage. Regular massaging will increase blood flow into your scalp, improve your skin tone and soften your skin.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol at least three days before surgery. For better results, avoid alcohols a week before your transplant.
- Avoid smoking from 24 hrs before surgery till your final session. Smoking affects wound healing and delays your recovery.