All about Rhinoplasty
Table of contents
Here we are trying to answer to few of the most relevant question related to Rhinoplasty or Nose Job like What is Rhinoplasty, Rhinoplasty for teens & more.
What is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty or a nose job is a surgical procedure that is done on the nose in order to change its shape or enhance its function. Nose jobs are mainly done for two basic reasons: medical and cosmetic. The medical reasons include correcting breathing problems that are related to nose and correct disfigurement as a result of any trauma or birth defects. The cosmetic reasons revolve around changing the shape and appearance of the nose.
Making the right decision before opting for Rhinoplasty
Since Rhinoplasty is a surgical process, therefore patients must completely ensure that they are ready for it. Apart from making a stable mind, it is also important for patients to take sound decisions and look for vital factors before proceeding further. The following points will help in making suitable decisions about their nose jobs.
- Firstly, patients need to look for a qualified surgeon who will be operating. It is better to set a prior appointment with the surgeon and discuss things in details. During the appointment, patients must talk about their goals and objectives and the primary reasons for opting for nose jobs. They must openly express their concerns so that surgeons have good idea about the kind of problem faced by them.
- Patients must also keep in mind that there is nothing as “perfect nose” in the real world. Nose jobs will only help in enhancing facial attributes and focusing on unique and natural beauty. Surgeons can also go the extent of suggesting specific facial features that would best suit one’s appearance. They finely evaluate the structure of the nose and other facial parts to determine if your expectations are practical and realistic. Also, they consider overall health factors and conditions and inform patients about risks, recovery time and costs involved in the process.
- At the same time, it is important for patients to realize that there are different techniques for reshaping and reconstructing noses. After you have taken your final decision, the surgeon shall propose the most suitable treatment procedure.
An overview of the Rhinoplasty process
Rhinoplasty involves no overnight stay and is usually done as an outpatient procedure. The patients are given either local anesthesia or general anesthesia. In the former condition, patients are put under sedation and their noses are numbed. This make them feel relaxed and take them through a painless experience. In the latter condition, patients sleep throughout the operation.
During the process, surgeons make cuts within the nostrils. In case of more difficult cases, surgeons also make cuts across the nasal base. After that, they reshape the inner bone and cartilage to yield a more pleasing appearance of the nose, and the overall face.
Recovering after Rhinoplasty
Post Rhinoplasty, patients wear a nasal splint at least for the first week. After the surgery, patients can expect to have some swelling and bruising around the eyes, which shall begin to improve from the third day, after the operation. Such irritations can although last for two weeks, at the most.
Besides eyes, patients can also expect to have little swellings on their nose, which only they and their surgeons shall notice. However, this will slowly and gradually go away in six months time. Once the nose has completely healed, the final shape will become more noticeable.
After the surgery, patients must avoid strenuous activity for three to six weeks. They can easily return to their daily course of life and social activities within two to three weeks, leaving no signs of any procedures behind.
Teens & Rhinoplasty
There’s a trend amongst today’s teens to reshape and redefine their nose. It is the most common cosmetic surgery that is usually done with the help of general anesthesia. Teens can have the surgery performed and then go home, on the same day. They must however be careful while choosing an experienced and qualified surgeon for the operation in order to get the desired results.
Ideal time for teens to have Rhinoplasty
Teens should never opt for nose jobs, until their nose has reached its adult size, which normally happens at the age of 15 or 16 for girls and a year later for boys.
Rhinoplasty surgery steps
There are mainly six steps involved in the surgical process: anesthesia, the incision, reshaping the nose structure, correcting a deviated septum, closing the incision and witnessing the results.
- Step 1– Anesthesia: This is the very first step where patients are given necessary medications that cater to their comfort during the actual procedure. There are two choices of medications: intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Depending on the condition of the patient, the doctor gives the best recommendation.
- Step 2– The incision: After the patient is administered with essential medications, surgeons begin to operate. Again, there are two ways by which Rhinoplasty can be done: open incision and closed incision. In the open procedure, surgeons make an incision across the columella, which is the narrow strip of tissue separating the nostrils. In case of closed procedure, the incisors are hidden inside the nose. Once the surgeons choose the suitable way, the skin covering the nasal bones and cartilages is gently raised. This enables good access to reshape the present nasal structure.
- Step 3– Reshaping the nose structure: If patients are having excessive large nose, bones and cartilages are removed by the surgeons, thereby reducing the shape. Often, nose job requires additional cartilage grafts. For this purpose, the cartilage from the septum, that is the middle of the nose, is more commonly used. However, in rare circumstances, cartilages from the ear or rib section can also be used.
- Step 4– Correcting a deviated septum: For those who have deviated septum, surgeons straighten the septum. In this stage, they also reduce the projections inside the nose for improved breathing.
- Step 5– Closing the incision: In this stage, the underlying structure of the nose is molded to a preferred shape. The nasal skin and tissue are redraped and finally the incisions are closed. Surgeons might also place additional incisions in the natural creases of the nostrils to change the size.
- Step 6- Witnessing the results: This is the final stage of the surgical process and it takes time to view the ultimate result. Splints and gauze packing will support the nose for few days as it slowly begins to heal. With time, the final shape of the nose becomes more prominent.
Rhinoplasty in India
With growing concern for perfection amongst today’s Indians, Rhinoplasty has gained massive prominence and popularity. However, before opting for the nasal surgery, people must be very careful in taking their decisions and should wisely choose an experienced surgeon with high qualification in this field.
Questions to ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon
The following are the very important questions that Indians need to ask their surgeons before getting the surgery done.
- How many years of overall training have you had in Plastic Surgery?
- Have your received specialized training in the field of Plastic Surgery?
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform the procedure? If so, at which hospitals?
- Is your surgical facility well recognized by either a national or state accrediting agency? Is it licensed by state or Medicate-certified?
- Am I eligible for the surgical procedure?
- When and how will you perform the surgery?
- Which is the most suitable surgical technique for my condition?
- What shall be expected of me, to get the best results?
- How long is the recovery period? What all help do I require during recovery?
- Are there any risks or complications associated with the procedure? If so, then what are they?
- How can these complications be handled?
- How can I expect my nose to look over time?
- What are the alternative choices, if I am not satisfied with the outcome of the surgery?
- Do you have before-the-treatment and after-the-treatment photos that I can look at for the procedure?
- What are the reasonable results?
Once you have asked these questions, you can get complete idea about the proficiency of the surgeon. It is recommended to visit quite a few surgeons and then compare their facilities, skills and other parameters. After coining down such information, segregate your choice and choose the most suitable surgeon who shall provide proper medical assistance and guidance, depending on your condition.